This past week I had the pleasure of spending a day at the beach. I'm typically not someone that enjoys being at the beach but this time I took time to focus on how relaxing it was to escape from the daily stress that my job and circumstances tend to bring. When I looked around at the others that were at the beach, I noticed that all were happy to be there and it was evident that the beach had a positive affect on all that embraced what it had to offer. I decided to do some research as to whether or not the beach itself and the ocean water that crashed on the shore offered any real health benefits. What I found was compelling evidence that it's truly a place to refresh and destress. I will list the top five benefits of going to a beach below. Comment and let me know your favorite beach to visit!
1. It's an excellent source of Vitamin D.
2. Sea water has high levels of potassium, magnesium and iodine.
3. The combination of sea salt and sand helps exfoliate the skin which promotes new skin cell production.
4. Salt water is naturally an antibacterial and antifungal so it fights any skin infections you might have.
5. The calming sound of the waves crashing and overall atmosphere of the beach causes many to "cast their cares" resulting in several case studies where anxiety and depression were reported to be dramatically reduced while at the beach.